Monday, January 18, 2010

Choking

After having a solid day yesterday—hitting balls, doing yoga, adding to Exit Wound—today I choked. I fully intended to have a great day, to work for two hours on the RTJ Golf Trail story, to add to Exit Wound for two hours, to try to build my website for two hours and to write queries or submit stories to contests for two hours. Then I intended to exercise and find time for some golf practice.

All I managed to do, however, was plan my trip to Palm Springs, a trip that will likely be a bust, since it's storming non-stop now, then admit that my back, which has been bugging me for two weeks, had become debilitating, so I went down the street to a new massage place. The massage was good and inexpensive, but I was so wiped out afterward that I had to take a nap. And the day and night slipped away, as I watched bad television, hoping to find a laugh somewhere, or something inspirational.

On the last front, I suppose I did. I watched an episode of Intervention, and I reminded myself that my life has been a lot worse than it is now. In March, I will have 11 years of sobriety, and each and every one of my drunken years was miserable.

So the positive spin that I choose to put on this off day (one in which I watched the Golf Channel and picked up a tip or two ... so it wasn't all wasted) is that I have lived through far worse, so, empirically, life can get better.

18 Below

1 comment:

  1. I'm finally catching up on your posts. I love everything you're writing about and let it be know that I rarely golf.
    But a metaphor's a metaphor and I figure everything is a metaphor for life.
    Eleven years? That is so amazing. Anyone that has that kind of self-discipline can pretty much do anything else. You've already tackled the biggest meanest thing out there, hell, a book should be a walk in the park.
    Well, not really. We all know that's not true. But seriously, you're obviously are doing something right. Keep after it.

    ReplyDelete